Parenting Seminars

Friday, January 8, 2010

Handmades

So I've been spending way too much time viewing other people's blogs and other people's lives. However, I've been greatly inspired as well. So many people are making a transition to a simpler life. Whether they call it living sustainably, simpler or trying to consume less, the philosophy is the same. And one thread that seems to run through these is the idea of making many things by hand. I have been drawn to mothers who are crafting practical and decorative items for their homes but I imagine there are plenty of men and Dads who are drawn to this lifestyle for the expression of their own skills.

Personally, I have a deep need to create with my hands. I have had this need for as long as I can remember. My favorite Christmas gift of all time was a battery operated, plastic table top pottery wheel when I was 9 or 10. That was amazing!!! I don't remember being able to use it much. I probably didn't have much clay and never got more but I remember the feeling of potential. I COULD create something useful. This is still important to me. I don't get as much satisfaction from crafting if the product is meant to be only decorative. I need it to be used, loved, supporting someone's day to day tasks.

Maybe this is why my crafting has not landed within one medium yet. I will explore woodworking just as much as I will pursue sewing or crochet or pottery. As long as I can use the item and see that my work has purpose. OH...and if it is made from recycled materials, all the better! But recycled materials that are ready to be thrown out. Why would you tear up a perfectly good bed sheet to make a fabric garland for a holiday decoration? It just seems absurd to me. However, my toddler's stained t-shirts that have plenty of strength left in them but look awful, those are perfect for my latest project. A crocheted rug. I'm trying to teach myself how to do it and it has been a bit difficult but its coming together and I'm so excited.

Pictures will be coming.

No comments: