Parenting Seminars

Thursday, September 9, 2010

Day 1 and 2

Day one went great. The sun was shining. We had plenty of snacks and we moved through the day with ease. I actually noticed that my four year old handled smaller snacks and meals than normal. I was worried at lunch because I wasn't as prepared as I thought I would be so I put some rolled up ham, fruit and small slices of cheese in front of her. She ate them and was done. OH...did I tell you I decided to take on the dairy another day with her. I realized that this is a big enough challenge for me, I wasn't sure I had the energy to fight with her or listen to the whining all day.

However, she also ate what I had available at the park. I've never seen her eat carrot sticks with dip but she did it. I think she was introduced to this at school where there is also one choice or you go hungry until lunch. I'm learning the benefit of that limit.

Yesterday, however, was a different story. I was hungry all day. It was rainy out in the morning and I was watching a friend's child so I had some added stress. I also had a moment when my head was really heavy and I was pretty groggy. Just generally feeling yucky.

We sat on the back porch and popped open pistachio nuts and had a fun little snack picnic and I started to feel better. Partly because I knew I wasn't wavering from the diet, which I was worried about. And partly because it was fun hanging our feet over the edge, dropping pistachio shells under the porch and just hanging out.

I have a feeling that this process of reconnecting to my food and body will create more connections than I was expecting.

Today I'm nervous. I need to get some more kale and I'm worried about snacks again for my 4 year old. I'm out of cheese which is a conscious decision so I need to bump the protein from somewhere else. But mostly...I don't want to go to the store. I've managed to stay away which definitely makes this all easier. Or if I have to go, I want to be very purposeful and not stressed or hungry. This means, I need to do things different from yesterday.

I'll keep you posted.

No comments: